It is the Blue Mule hitched up to the Gray Whale, loaded up and headed to Arizona to Alumafiesta. I am standing inside the Dogde dealership 30 minutes away from our house.
Why are we here, you may ask?
Because we ran into a major hitch in our trip. The clutch in the
truck went out. The repair: $1600 and 3 days in the shop.
Initially we were in shock. However, after a call to family to pick us up and take us home, the disappointment set in. How do you tell your children that the 3 week trip to Arizona that you have been counting down for months is no longer going to happen? How do you let the organizers of Alumafiesta know that you cannot lead the Tech Tips lecture or that your wife cannot lead morning exercise? How do you deal with the snow and ice when you were ready to enjoy desert landscape and 75 degree weather? The list goes on, but so does life.
Rich and Brett of Alumafiesta were gracious and understanding. Our children got to visit their cousins instead, so they soon forgot about the missed trip. But my wife and I are still dealing with the disappointment. There is much talk of "next time" and "glad we weren't 2 days into our trip when the clutch went out" but there is still disappointment.
I tell you our story because I want you to know that things come up, whether it be equipment malfunction or illness...sometimes your trip will be altered or cancelled.
My hope for you is the following:
- take care of your health (eat well, exercise, and take your supplements) - for more information on this email my wife and wander well.
- perform regular maintenance on your tow vehicle and travel trailer. Email me. I can help with this.
- get roadside assistance for both your vehicle and trailer from AAA, Allstate, Good Sam, etc.
- be flexible and know that nothing is set in stone
- allow extra time in your travel schedule for repairs, set backs, etc.
Stay safe, fellow traveler!